Country
United Kingdom
Please tell me how to lay the kingspan flooring

i.e.

Vapour barrier,Kingspan, concrete, screed

What is the correct order.

any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you put the insulation above the concrete then you will need thicker screed, possibly reinforcement too and will lose the benefits of the thermal mass of the concrete for latent heating and summer cooling.

Hardcore
Blinding
DPM
Insulation
Concrete
Sceed

Also remember the the concrete can be troweled smooth and so screed may not be required

I agree with having to put thicker screed if you have insulation above the concrete, and in some cases Polypropylene Fibres for reinforcement, however I don't agree with the concrete and then screed being on top of the insulation.
Latent heat is produced when a substance chemically changes state, i.e. when the concrete is setting it produces heat, after set, no heat is produced whatsoever, it will only absorb heat.
Thus any heat produced in the home will travel through the screed and then the concrete until it reaches the thermal barrier of the kingspan, which requires a lot of energy, this is why BCO's and and NHBC are requiring that it be done with the insulation on top of the concrete.
It is always done like this on every site I have worked, even the one I am on now is, its a school with concrete slab floors, thermafloor insulation on top, with underfloor heating, then screed.

On the other hand then yes if its just to be concrete trowel smooth with no screed, it can be laid on the kinsgspan and be the finished floor

Sponsored Links
Concrete is a recognised thermal store, which in practical terms means that it prevents rapid heat changes, which in turn means more even room temperatures, warmer rooms in the evening as it gives off natural heat acquired during the day without having been heated by the house system. And also cooler rooms in the summer daytime

So to get he benefit, the thermal mass is placed on the most appropriate side of the structural element - which in this case is the room side.

There will be nothing actually wrong with putting the insulation on the room side, but it will mean that the OP wont get the benefits of thermal mass and the room will perform differently - quicker warm up times but faster heat loss, and rapid warm up in summer too with no cooling effect from the mass.

So the OP just has to determine how he wants the room to perform.

Location and orientation of the room will play its part, as will any windows on certain elevations, and exposure of the walls

So the floor should not be considered in isolation, but in context.

And the OP thought it was an easy question :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back