waterlogged

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently used a digger to level my back garden, it is just a mud patch at the moment and I was going to seed it in the spring. But I have noticed that 4 or 5 pools of water sit on the surface for quite a long time after rain, whats the best thing to do for this, will grass help or will I need to do something drastic

Sponsored Links
dave - forget all soil preparation until the Spring. You'll do more damage to the ground by going on it in the Winter whilst it's wet.

Thanks for the reply, what should I do in the spring?

dave - in the Spring when the ground has dried-out, rake the whole thing over level (get a wide contractors rake not a namby-pamby narrow garden rake). Do this 'till you've got a fine tilth (a smartar*ed technical term for no stones, no lumps, a sort of crumb-like surface). From scaffold boards sow your seed by hand, then rake it over. Scaffold boards? ... spreads your load so you don't sink-in and cover the soil in bootprints.

But DON'T do any of this until the ground is dry.

Sponsored Links
Have you made sure the top few inches is all good soil? It's all too easy to mix up sub soil and top soil, or to have insufficient top soil, and then find you forever have drainage problems or moss. It's no good trying to make a tilth out of clay, for example, it'll just compact and not grow a good lawn.

When you disturb the ground it can affect the way it drains, especially in clay soil.

thanks for the advice, I will do what you advise, just wasn't sure if I needed to put in drainage pipes or not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back