converting a garage roof to support tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have a long garage at present that I wish to convert in to a car port and work shop.

Its built of timber and covered on the outside with T&G wood. It looks as though its a converted hut or something as inside the original owner added some extra support to the pitched roof which is covered with corrugated metal sheeting.

I don't have the money to pull the thing down and start again so I was wandering if it would be possible to modify it and strengthen the timber on the inside as I would like to add a tiled roof and replace the T&G timber with ship lapping over time.

i've looked on the internet but I can not find any way to calculate / work out the specification of the timber supports for the sides as well as the timber for the roof.

Can anyone help?

If yes, then I will supply the size.

Many thanks,

Adrian....

Sponsored Links
first you need to take a look at the function of the building.

if you are going to keep sensitive electrical tools, machinery or electronic equipment within, then you will need adequate insulation and protection from damp.

also the walls need to be strong enough to support the roof and be able to withstand 'spread'.

carrying out modifications, working form within an existing building, can be prohibitive and expensive. this is not to say it cannot be done, but making a silk purse out of a sows ear is not always the most satisfying of tasks.

Hello noesall,

OK, I think I understand where your coming from.

If I was therefor to start again, I would use brink , say for 1M and then introduce 4x2 timbers at about 400mm to a 4x4 plat on the top and then place the roof on this, but with that said , can you confirm where I can find out how to calculate the timber sizes?

Many thanks....

trada tables. :idea:

for horizontal members a rule of thumb is to half the span in feet then add 1 to the number. then apply this number to inches.

i.e.: a 10' clear span becomes 5'. add 1 = 6.

so, a ten foot wide shed would require 6" joists.

things change slightly when pitch is introduced, as the steeper the roof the greater the load is transferred to the wall plate. hence a reduction in timber thickness.

Sponsored Links
I am also thinking of making an 8'6" wide carport, corrugated plastic roof.

Looks like 5" x 2" then?

What intervals would these timbers be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back