Poinsettia Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mrs Hysteresis gets a couple of Poinsettia's every Christmas and they usually last until late January even early February. The two she has received this year, both from different suppliers, have been very disappointing.
Although looking healthy on delivery, one lasted a week and the second is on it's last legs after only two weeks.
She has looked after them in a similar way to past years, ie out of draughts, not in direct sunlight, the pots well drained and the compost kept damp.
Any ideas anyone as to what may be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Plenty of light, warm min ~21 deg C away from drafts and direct heat, i.e. radiators, water sparingly.

That said, they all seem to go rapidly south in my experience.

Plenty of light, warm min ~21 deg C away from drafts and direct heat, i.e. radiators, water sparingly.

That said, they all seem to go rapidly south in my experience.

All of these criteria are satisfied apart from maybe the 21'C min. Over night when the CH is off maybe the temp drops below this.
Mrs Hysteresis has managed to hang on to these Poinsettia's remarkably well in past years, but this year something different is happenong and up to now we can't identify it. I thought maybe someone had some information such as the bad summer has affected the plants early development or some such obscure reasons.
Thanks for your interest.

I don't think they'd worry about direct sunlight, after all they come from sunny climes (carribean ?????) but... anything different this year, well its been the coldest start to winter for 30 years....

Sponsored Links
I don't think they'd worry about direct sunlight, after all they come from sunny climes (carribean ?????) but... anything different this year, well its been the coldest start to winter for 30 years....

Maybe the shortage of Sun in our non existent Summer has caused the problem. Or am I talking rubbish with that thought?

'suppose it's possible, but they're grown in poly's with artificial heat /light, maybe stored badly, dunno. BTW, they are short lived perennials so once the bracts have gone, you can still grow them on for next year.

I don't know where you bought the plant but I think that in supermarkets the plants are kept too wet especially as they are wrapped in plastic as well. Last year my p. lasted for 7 months, this year's is going back to S. tonight (I phoned them up and complained). We bought it 3 weeks ago and the soil is still very wet and most of the leaves have fallen off.

I don't know where you bought the plant but I think that in supermarkets the plants are kept too wet especially as they are wrapped in plastic as well. Last year my p. lasted for 7 months, this year's is going back to S. tonight (I phoned them up and complained). We bought it 3 weeks ago and the soil is still very wet and most of the leaves have fallen off.

Although I said Mrs Hysteresis bought them , in fact they were both gifts, one form ASDA and the other form a Florist. Your 7 months for a poinsettia is very impressive, we regularly get three months but these last two lasted one week and the one form Asda two weeks. As they were gifts we have no receipt but I think ASDA will be getting it back anyway, it is either that or the compost heap.
Thanks for the reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back