Patio door damp proof course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just purchased a house for my family (yes there are still a few people buying!) and I've noticed a gap between the patio door and the house of around 1.5" in the centre of the door.

Missed by the surveyor!

However I thought-not a big deal I just need to fill it. However when I look down the gap I don't see a damp-proof membrane- I see bricks. Now I am a novice so I thought I would ask some experts about this... comments please, what should I be looking for and what would people suggest I do.
:(

Additional information........The windows, doors, including patio were replaced about 5 years ago- have a FENSA certificate (which according to the forum sounds like a nice piece of paper but nothing else!). However don't believe the workmanship guarantee is transferable over to me with the purchase of the house. I am now more than a little concerned. House is 21 years old.

Sponsored Links
no idea, but how about a picture?

how to post a picture is in forum information

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
some upvc installers actually cut the dpc off as it can ruck up and interfere with the fitting process.

however, damp can not travel through the plastic.

some dpc is made of plastic.

i personally like to see it left in place regardless of upvc installation. you never know when somebody may want to fit a timber door or even brick it up.

Have a read of this, almost an identical situation; //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=160160

Difference you have is you’re unlikely to be able to replace the dpc on the outer brick course below the door frame but, as noseall says, damp can’t pass through the plastic frame. But I would take some effort to seal over the cavity & up the side of the frame/wall to avoid the risk of any damp ingress up through the floor, even if it meant cutting part of the existing screed back & relaying with a lump of membrane in there.

If you paid for a “proper survey” & not just the normal house buyer/valuation thing I would go back & complain. Our surveyor missed a totally blocked foul drain which caused problems during the 1st week we moved in & it was obvious he hadn't even lifted the covers. I got a £500 refund which more than covered the cost of rectifying the problem but it makes you wonder what else disinterested surveyors miss :rolleyes: ; some seem to have no pride in the work they do & I would never go to the expense again. Other things have also come to light since &, with my experience, I would have done better to DIY & trust my own judgement!

Thanks Richard and Noseall,

Okay, so there should be a membrane visible. I will be complaining about the survey........- I did pay for homebuyers survey, one below the full structural survey, at £790! There are the usual limitations- we don't move carpets etc. But as you can see from the pics it wasn't difficult to find the hole by feeling the edge area and I would have thought this would be a key area to focus on.

I am certainly annoyed that i didn't spot this myself. I guess the lesson to learn is the people with the most to lose- ie me and my family, should focus on your own thorough inspection and not rely on the "professional" surveyors.

One further question- if I was just to seal this up and carpet above what would you expect to see over time. The outside patio level is some way below the bottom of the foor- three bricks from memory?

Thanks

One further question- if I was just to seal this up and carpet above what would you expect to see over time. The outside patio level is some way below the bottom of the floor- three bricks from memory?
Not sure what you mean by “seal it up” but the outside patio level is not really relevant as long as it’s blow the dpc. The outer dpc will probably be at the level of bricks just below the door frame (you should be able to tell by looking outside). There will also be an equivalent dpc on the inner cavity wall & then a membrane (big sheet of plastic) would have been laid over the whole slab & up the insides of the walls, prior to the floor screed being laid, the plastic membrane would have then cut off level with the screed prior to plastering & fitting the skirting, effectively providing a continuous seal against damp rising from the ground up through the floor & walls.

If whoever fitted the (presumably) replacement doors removed the outer dpc, they have damaged the original damp course integrity; & clearly from the pics, they have also damaged the integrity of the floor membrane. If you just dump a load of cement in there without reinstating a damp proof barrier, there is a big risk damp will “wick” up from below the dpc, through cement ruining whatever floor covering you put over the top. Another alternative is to fill the exposed cavity with cement up to the level of the original dpc; you can push some polystyrene down into the base of the cavity so it’s about 2 inches below the bricks so you don’t need to use too much cement. Let that dry, paint a liquid dpc
http://www.dorseyconstructionmaterials.com/assets/info/LIQUID_DPM_ddpmliqsynstd5.pdf
over the concrete & up so it just covers the inside of the door frame below floor level & then finish the floor screed over that after it’s dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back