Building a Chimney.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps.
I'm fitting a woodburner in my single story cottage. It had a chimney years ago but it was taken down and slated over. Looking on the planning b/controle portal it looks like im ok to build as long as it's under 1 meter above the highest part of the roof:D.
I'm wondering doo i need to use any particular type of brick to build it with ?
I'm on tight budget so probably wont use a liner.
Also wondering the terracota type pot jobber that goes on the top, do i cut the inside of the top bricks so it sits on a ledge then cement up around the edge?
Whayyy hold the front pageeeeeeeee! also, also, I'm tinking should the chimney be 2 brick cources wide? I'm concerned i'll put up a satelite dish one day and itll all crack and fall down. hummmmmm, maybee ill wrap it in chicken wire before rendering, so if it falls off itll be 1 big clean lump :rolleyes: :LOL: Cheers Chaps. any info would be superrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. all the best. mark

Sponsored Links
hic....hello, single brick common or facing brick will suffice.

sit the pot on top and fill out gaps with slates then cement over.....hope you understand
.... merry xmas.

or you could put a coping stone on.
sorry i really have been drinking..... :LOL: :LOL:

A chimney pot should be built in to the chimney by roughly 25% of its height, but at least 3 courses. They are usually put in before the oversailing course. Just resting it on top of the brickwork and relying on the flaunching will not be a very secure job.

Sponsored Links
A chimney pot should be built in to the chimney by roughly 25% of its height, but at least 3 courses.

i think 25% may be over egging the pudding slightly.

in most cases 1 course down with decent flaunching is adequate.

25% its not an iceberg............have tried digging out those 25% jobs in the past and end up wrecking the chimneyhead....100mm plenty.

Hi Chaps.
Big Thank you for all the info. Thats great. looking foward to getting up there and cracking on with it. Thanks again, very much apreciated. all the best mark

On a 3 foot pot 25% is only 9 inches. If you are bedding a tall pot 3 courses is the standard depth that has been used for many years.
There is no advantage to bedding the pot nearer the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back