Protecting lead valley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our slate roof is connected to our neighbours roof with a long, wide lead valley.
The valley was completely replaced about 6 years ago but unfortunately it gets damaged by falling slates.
We are looking for some means of either catching the slates before they hit the valley or lining the lead valley to protect it from impact damage.
Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
I completely agree! Our roof is OK but unfortunately the neighbouring roof is nail sick and unlikely to be re-roofed in the near future, which puts us in a bit of a dilemma!

Sponsored Links
I'd guess the valley is about a metre wide at the widest point, tapering down to around 20 cm above the downpipe. There are two small valleys coming down to the big valley at the widest point again from the neighbours roof.

That sounds a right bugger, what you really need (apart from your neighbours to get a new roof) is a snowguard running along their eaves, at least this will catch the falling slates. Another option would be some sort of plastic grid placed along the central gutter assuming you can get it fixed high enough above the valley sole that the slates corners don't penetrate too far

That sounds useful, I've found snowguards on a web search and will contact a couple of suppliers, they may have some ideas about the mesh for the valley itself. Thanks

Hi You may find it difficult to find snow guard fitting requires the first course to be lifted? We have often fitted slatted timber frames to gutters to protect against pedestrian traffic and snow/sleet. using roofing batten, castle out the cross supports to allow water flow the just screw batten on with say 15mm gap. This will also protect the gutter should the roof be attended to at a latter date. Good Luck

Keep that one quiet, it keeps the money rolling in. Happy New Year

Thanks justlead1, I'm think I can imagine what you are describing but not sure if we could do that in our situation where it's a valley guttering running along the length of two pitch roofs?
While I've got a lead expert, would you be able to advise on any protective covering we could lay along the valley itself?
Thanks.

Hi. Other than the timber timber slatted method for complete protection, i guess the only other way would be to use say a roll of galv or s/s expanded mesh, cut it in to say 2m manageable lengths fold a 90 degree bend along its length and carefully ease it under the second course of slate of the offending roof, a dab of sealant here and there will provide a temporary solution until such time as the neighbour wins the lottery. Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back