Help with wiring a 1 gang 2 way dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me with wiring a 1 gang 2 way dimmer switch. The dimmer has 3 connectors (L1, L2 and COM). From reading the other posts I understand these to be on-way, two-way and common. The Wires from the wall are 2 red, 1 black and one earth. These wires come from 2 main sheaths.

I have had a look at the other connected socket (not a dimmer) and it has 1 red in L1, 1 red in L2, then 1 black in a second L1 and one black in a second L2. Earths are connected.

I have currently got the dimmer set up as Black in COM, red in L1 and red in L2 but this doesn't work. Please could someone advise of the correct combination? I'm not really bothered which switch turns the light on, provided something does.

Many thanks in advance.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
How was the old switch connected?
2nd L2 sounds like it could be a 2 gang switch hence will have 2 of each Com, L1 and L2, possibly a link wire between two connections??

Hi Spark123,

Apologies, but I realised a mistake in my thread when I was leaving the house yesterday. It's actually a 3 way connection. Here's the deal:

One ceiling light upstairs with a 1 gang switch (as described previously with L1 L1 L2 L2), a 1 gang dimmer (as described previously with L1 L2 and COM which I can't connect up). and now a 2 gang switch downstairs (not looked behind this yet). None of the switches will operate the upstairs light (bulb fine!!)

I know it's a time old mistake, but I really can't remember how the old switch was connected. I just didn't think it would be so complicated.

Does this new info shed help in any way?

Kind Regards.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your response ban-all-sheds.

From what you've said and studying the diagrams, this seems to make sense. I'll try this.

With ref to your last question, I was assuming that the dimmer acts as a normal switch (on/off) - pushing to switch on/off and twisting for dim/bright. I'd appreciate further help if my understanding is incorrect.

Many thanks.

Wherever you switch the lights on they will come on at the brightness level set by the dimmer.

So if you turn them on downstairs and they aren't at the level you want you'll have to walk upstairs to turn the knob on the dimmer.

Yes, I was aware of that thanks b-a-s. That's just how I'd like it work.

Next time I'm there I'll try according to the pics and let you know how I get along.

Thanks again.

Yes, I was aware of that thanks b-a-s. That's just how I'd like it work.
Fair enough - it's just that some people think that if they turn the lights on from a switch and not the dimmer that they'll come on fully.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back