DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Whole wall disbonded

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamie473

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote

Apologies as I posted this also in the building section.

On one side of my house the plasterboard panels have disbonded from the breeze blocks in each room. In the pics below this is the worse room and you can push the whole wall in like a huge sail by about 1". Has anyone experienced this before or know if it is dangerous? The house was built in 1991.

Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
roughcaster

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote

What you have there Jamie is "Dot and Dab" plaster-boarding that's coming unstuck from the blockwork. The whole wall....It is the ultimate problem with this cheap and nasty method of cladding blockwork. I've never had a good word to say for it and never will...... I don't think there's any way to repair this "properly", other than to take all the wallboards off, strap the wall with battens and re-board it. If it was done that way in the first place, you wouldn't have the problem you have today. Dot and Dab should be outlawed,, but it's quick and cheap to do,, so it wont be. icon_rolleyes.gif

Roughcaster.

Last edited by roughcaster on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total
 Alert Moderators
JohnD

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote

couldn't you use frame screws?
 Alert Moderators
roughcaster

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote

You could give it a try with screws/washers, countersunk slightly, (difficult though on plasterboard), to try and pull it back in tight,,, but I think ultimately, and if possible,, timber strapping and re-boarding, would be the ideal solution.,, who knows,,,,I've never had to deal with this type of problem,,,, especially with it being the whole wall too. A dreadful situation for a property less than 20 years old.

Roughcaster.
 Alert Moderators
jbonding

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote

Firstly they have been applied wrong, theres not enough dabs and the back of thermal board should be given a tight coat of adhesive then dabbed and screws with big heads should be used aswell as the dabs. Without takin all the boards off the only way to fix it is cut holes similar to the one youve cut lets say 4 a board, use the screws with big heads or big washers and fix the board back to the wall and then fill the holes with drywall adhesive then patch.
 Alert Moderators
jamie473

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote

Many thanks for the replies it's a bit of a nightmare really, as I own 75% percent of the property and a housing association own the other 25%. Building insurance is in with the rent I pay them each month, but they say the dot & dab disbonds are my problem and the insurance wont cover it. What they did do though is send one of their repairmen out to have a look and he cut out that hole and left. Still waiting from them to know if they plan to sort the hole out!
 Alert Moderators
noseall

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote

after screwing it may pay you to supplement the fixings by squirting some of this into the void via some pre-drilled holes.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: