Ford Focus remote key stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Granted it was rather dusty inside (given my job) but having given it a good old clean and changed the battery, still no joy.

Any other suggestions before I throw in the towel? Can you get replacements? It's an X reg diesel estate.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Think they are all similar - one thing to note is the imobiliser chip is in that part of the keyfob - you may be able to swop just the remote locking circuit board between the two or reprogram the imobiliser to the new on (iirc you need two working imobiliser keys to do that or a trip to ford dealer!).
I did one not so long back and as far as I can remember synchronising the remote locking fob to the car was pretty streight forwards.

thanks spark123 (what are we both doing over on this forum?). Shame, as I like the immobilizer (what with living in London). I guess maybe the repair is the way to try first as in that way I'll keep the immobilizer.

Cheers

SB

Sponsored Links
Sorry - you misunderstand!
There is a chip in the keyfob which when you put the key in the ignition and turn it, talks to the car via a small coil in the ignition barrel and identifies itself to the car (immobilizer).
If you change your key then you need to teach your car your new immoblizer chip - otherwise the key will turn but the engine wont start. In order to program a new key you need two existing working keys which the car already knows.
So you can replace the part of the key with the remote locking in it, then you do two things: teach the car to unlock with the new remote keyfob and teach the new key chip to the immobilizer.
You already have a chip in the old keyfob so that can count for one of the keys, do you have another key?

Ahh, thanks for clarifying. I do have another key, but it's not a remote - just your standard manual one. Surely this doesn't contain a chip, does it?

Confused a bit (240V is much easier to deal with...)

SB

If it starts the engine then yes - it will have a chip. Usually denoted by a blue or red dot in the back of the key :D
As you now have two chipped keys it should be possible to add a 3rd chip (as long as Mr Ford dealer hasn't disable this function) so the option of buying a new keyfob is still a viable one.
I'll see if I can dig out the instructions!

Yes, it does! Spark 123 you're a star - if you can find the instructions for me too that would be really great!

Happy 2009

SB

Have sent you a friend request - if you can pm me your email addy I will send the info on.

Hi all,
Does anybody have the instructions of how to reprogramme the immobilizer when there is a new key.

I have the two keys as people have suggested, I just need the instructions of how to go about reprogramming etc.

Regards
Mike

Sponsored Links
Back