Building a big shed - well that's the plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm attempting to build a big shed - and have taken delivery of maximum timber lengthe 4.8m for the length and will be aiming for 2.4m width.

I have 2 x 100x100 3m posts (for height of front to allow for a slope to 2.4m 75x75 posts (got six of these)

The shed will sit under a very large conifer which keeps all but the heaviest of rain away.

I plan to set posts in "postfix" and have a single roof sloping from front to back.

The wall will be T&G (lucky to enjoy crime freedom.

No ideas about floor at moment - will be used mainly for mower, bikes and outdoor furniture storage BUT may want to add floor in future.

Basically if you have any ideas, cautions or tips to share I'd be grateful.

Also haven't worked out where to find windows (that open) and fit them.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
As I understand it, you want 4 walls and a roof. No floor. Why?

You will get condensation problems, as moisture seeps from the floor, and how will you address finishing the bottom of the walls and door?

Fit a floor. Either wood, laid on joists on slabs, or concrete with DPC. Either could be cheaper for that size.

Build the rest of the building onto the base.

Whatever you do, dont use postfix :confused: After all, you aint building a fence!

Build the shed in sections, one wall at a time, and screw the framework together tight.

Arrggh - already set six posts in post mix.

Yes it does seem daft not to include a floor....so will have a go.

cheers

you might be interested in my shed.

I set the posts in postcrete and then suspended the floor from the posts. It's been up about 3 years still looks as good as new.

I used feather edge but also lined the walls with thin ply first, it does make for a very sturdy structure, I'd recommend it.

Hope this helps

http://www.yourmissus.com/shed/

Sponsored Links
I've built 3 large garden sheds all from different wood materials. All of which was second hand and sprayed with preserver. Then when I have finished them I covered them all over with roofing felt. This was nailed and glued, the walls were given a coat of masonry paint, teracotta for my friend, then batterned for plants to grow up. I looked around scrap dealers,skips etc. for windows and patio doors, iron and plastic. I prefer in a large shed to have fixed roof lights made from triple polycarbonate sheets 6'x2' rather than side windows because the light quality is far better. If you paint the roof a light colour after felting it will preserve it for many more years and reflect the heat. If you want a very strong weather board finish then try fencing suppliers. I can get a 2m x 3m fence with posts for £40ish anything better than that is dear. But you may only have to make 2 sides pretty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back