New window to fit - Arc lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The window I want to replace has an arc shaped lntel made from bricks. I'm assuming this should be OK for the new UPVC window that will be replacing the old rotten wooden one.

How best would I measure this sort of window as its not a regular shape to measure from as you need to take into account the arch shape at the top?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
I would make a template from some plywood or similar, then take that to the window supplier.

Nick.

From a horizontal line across the top if the opening, you measure the width of the opening, and then the rise of the arch from the centre of this horizontal line.

The window company will then calculate the arch centre which will be further down the frame

Thia assumes it's a normal segmental or camber arch

Cheers guys. Hopefully I'll get the correct measurements then. When it comes to fitting, since the house is over 100 years old its a 9" thick wall with no cavity and seems the inside of the window is one that has a bigger opening that the outside. Like the inner skin is missing a course of bricks, I suppose this is how they did it in them days.

Whats the best way to fit the window into there as there will be a massive void between the edge of the window. I was thinking chopping some aerated blocks down to size and using that to fill the void rather than fill it with foam?

Or any other suggestions welcome.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Yeah looks like the jambs are recessed in.

I chipped away some wood trim that covered the window and it looks like there is an old wooden lintel across the top. It seems like the old window opening has been packed with timber then the frame of the window/trim attached to that.

The internal lintel looks sound, but wont be able to tell until its fully ripped out. If it is sound I suppose I could leave that in and build up the inner skin to the same level as the outer skin with some new timber/blocks round it and foam and screw the new window in?

Cheers

neds,
On some of the older houses the brick jambs were recessed. The outer brick would be about 1/4 brick longer into the opening than the inner brick.
The window was set in line with the inside face, and the external brickwork covered some of the frame. This gave some weather protection. At one time in the past it was also for fire protection.
When measuring up for a new window with this type of recessed brick jamb you need to measure the inside.
The new frame is put in from the inside.
I don't know if this is the case with your window as it is difficult to tell without a photo. It could be that in the past the window has been replaced and the measurement was taken from outside. The new window would then have to be packed out on the inside brickwork.

Cheers for that. I suppose I'll have to rip the whole window out to get a proper measurement then which the occupiers wont be too pleased with! Is there another way of measuring up?

You need to measure across the internal brick jambs. Can you see them now that you have removed some timber?

I can see one corner which I removed some of the old architrave, I can see a massive void where the old wooden lintel is and can just see the brickwork.
It looks like this window had a wider opening and the nearest window they could get there hands on was just slapped in there. There is a good 5-6" between where the inner jambs are to the outer opening. Which seems huge!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back