Downpipe ...but no drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I recently moved home. A downpipe that is attached to the conservatory has no drain - so the rainwater collected empties straight onto the lawn.

Is there anything fairly straightforward that we can do to sort this out? If not who should we get in (roofer / plumber)?

We have had other issues with the drains that our neighbours (who have similar problems) suggest is an issue caused by newly built houses putting too much pressure on the system. Who should we talk to to check this out? (Not sure where it would be our responsibility or Yorkshire water?)

Sponsored Links
We did think of that but the down pipe is square and we can't find a suitable link to fit it to the water butt

Sponsored Links
you need to fit a soak away, most new houses these days use this system where the water does not go down the drains to a sewer but to a hole dug in your garden and filled with clean stone to allow the water to go back in to the water courses under ground. this does make some gardens wet if not dug deep enough

I would do both, in an ideal world: collect the water in a butt with the downpipe going straight into it (no need for any diverter), but have the butt standing on a soakaway to take care of any overflow.

The amount of rain running off a conservatory roof isn't going to be very great, but I would never miss the opportunity to collect a bit of rainwater for the garden. At certain times of the year it's in very short supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back