UPVC Front Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been having major problems with my front door:

Usually you pull either (outside or inside) handle up and the deadlocks clunk over and then you can lock the door. Then to unlock it's the reverse - turn the key and the deadlocks clunk open, then handle down for the latch to move in and the door opens.

However - from the inside, the handle is now permenantly pointing upwards and doesn't operate the deadlocks any more - so the door can't be locked from the inside. The handle does still operate the latch though, so the door will close and stay shut.

From the outside, the handle is in it's usual position and does operate the deadlocks - so the door can be locked/unlocked from the outside. However, pulling the handle down no longer operates the latch so once the door's unlocked, you have to kick it at the bottom to get in!

Any ideas? I currently have to lock the door from the outside and walk around the back of the house every night

Sponsored Links
Take the door handles off and check the square spindle is still square and not rounded off, also check the handles side as well

yep - both spindles are still square.

Put it all back together and the inside handle is still sticking up at 45 degrees.

Sponsored Links
However - from the inside, the handle is now permenantly pointing upwards and doesn't operate the deadlocks any more - so the door can't be locked from the inside.
This is what I don't understand why the handle is pointing upwards, if you undo the screws from the handle and let it loose, can you lock the door by turning the handle further :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back