Heavy garden gates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've inherited some old metal gates from a neighbour who was upgrading to some more elaborate ones. He's got brick piers to support his gates but I was thinking of metal posts.

I'm think of using a 50x50 post as that looks not too domineering and several other neightbours have got that size hence I'm fairly certain it will be strong enough. I am going to concrete the posts in place.

How deep do the metal posts need to be burried in the ground?
How much concrete is needed per post?
Any tips for supporting the posts whilst the concrete dries?
Anything else I need to know?

Sponsored Links
what size and how heavy are these gates?

I've not done any exact measurements/weighing so here's some estimates.

They are about waist height, a long legged person could easily vault them. Two gates are just wide enough to get a car through.

Each gate is light enought for a person to lift with one hand.

They are either steel or wrought iron with scrolls and the like.

Sponsored Links
the posts you describe should be ok.

provided the posts are painted and maintained then they should last a lifetime.

we installed some hefty bleeders lat year. it involved first concreting a pair of steel girders into the ground. then the elongated gate hooks were welded to the girders. next we cladded the girders with brickwork then hung and adjusted the gates.

if the posts can be fixed back to masonry then do so, particularly near the top of the post. it will prevent the posts from springing inwards once the weight of the gates has been added

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back