Swapping a gas oven for an electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

i'm looking to swap my old broken gas oven for a new electric one.
Does it need a CORGI guy to take it away or can it just be taken out and replaced (with all the usual switch off electrics and gas precautions)? Same standard power supply OK?

Thank you for your help
:D

Sponsored Links
You may be able to just disconnect & take away your old cooker if it has the modern bayonet connector,as for your replacement electric oven, it depends on the rating, enquire before you buy.

the advice to disconnect the bayonet should only be taken if the person who disconnects can test and confirm that the bayonet has closed properly, it SHOULD, but it needs to be confirmed, and while it is perfectly legal to use a bayonet as a permanent point of disconnection IF it is properly fitted, it is good practise to blank the pipe if a gas appliance will not be going back in, a bayonet is primarily to allow a user to temporarily disconnect an appliance for cleaning, or in the case of an oven to facilitate the ease of installation

the advice to disconnect the bayonet should only be taken if the person who disconnects can test and confirm that the bayonet has closed properly, it SHOULD, but it needs to be confirmed, and while it is perfectly legal to use a bayonet as a permanent point of disconnection IF it is properly fitted, it is good practise to blank the pipe if a gas appliance will not be going back in, a bayonet is primarily to allow a user to temporarily disconnect an appliance for cleaning, or in the case of an oven to facilitate the ease of installation
Please do not take this the wrong way, it is not a criticism, but I cannot understand how it is ok to disconnect on a temporary basis & not a permanent one, I would have thought that if these devices are not completely safe then they should not be allowed. :eek:

Sponsored Links
the design of a bayonet is to allow customer (ie non gas) to temp remove a cooker to clean behind it, if it is leaking slightly the cooker is going back in and the leak is "fixed" because the hose is now back in, you are right if it is temp allowed it must be permanently allowed and it is as i stated IF it is confirmed as not leaking AND it is fitted and supported properly which is facing downwards so that no dirt etc can get into it which might cause a leak, it is however seen as better practice to remove the bayonet and blank the pipe if a gas appliance is not going back in, as the bayonet is spring loaded and shut with no hose in it can we be sure at some point in the future the spring will not loose tension and become a leak, i have worked for many local housing associations who are advised by me that if they want to leave a bayonet in a void property for an incoming tenant that is ok, but also suggest that it is blanked off in case tenant gets electric cooker and the above happens, this also ensures that if the new tenant gets a gas cooker they get a gas engineer to fit and test for them, rather than simply plug in (although most likely they get someone to plumb in on the side anyway)

Thanks for that Kirkgas, that is what puzzled me, as around here there are plenty of local authority houses with unused bayonet fittings. I would have thought that there was a B.S. that these connectors had to comply with, because I cannot think of any electrical connector which is allowed to be safe if disconnected temporarily but not permanently. I can understand what you mean now, though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back