Digging. Overhead and underground power cables.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps,
I'm hireing a 6 ton digger for doing my driveway. I have 3 power lines that run in the air above my garden. does anybod know who i contact to get the insulation put on them and any idea what the charge is for this???

Also underground cable whair ill be digging, will hire a cat and try not to hit it. does it make any difference to what ill be charged whether i A, break the cable and then get them to repair it with some extra so i can make a new layout for it under the drive. or If i carefully dig around it keep it intackt and still get them to extend the cable for me??
Cheers Chaps...... mark

Sponsored Links
You don't want to hit the underground cables, it is Dangerous.

You definitely don't want to go near the overhead cables, not many people get to touch them, the electricity normally comes to meets them - very Dangerous. At some of the voltages they carry you cannot insulate them.

If you do hit it they will charge you for fixing it, while they do this your neighbours will be without electricity and it will be your fault!

They will then charge you for installing a new supply. Suggest you speak to them about the new supply before you start digging - tehy may come along and put the cable in the hole for you.

Good place to start with the questions is the number on your electricity bill, there may be details at your meter as well.

Hi Chaps,
I'm hireing a 6 ton digger for doing my driveway. I have 3 power lines that run in the air above my garden. does anybod know who i contact to get the insulation put on them and any idea what the charge is for this???

Also underground cable whair ill be digging, will hire a cat and try not to hit it. does it make any difference to what ill be charged whether i A, break the cable and then get them to repair it with some extra so i can make a new layout for it under the drive. or If i carefully dig around it keep it intackt and still get them to extend the cable for me??
Cheers Chaps...... mark

God be with you my son, in this life and the next.:cool:

Sponsored Links
Cheers Chaps.
No probs with the neighbours, I only have 1 and he's going on holiday for 3 weeks, thats when im doing it.
Ill give um a ring and see what they say. be interesting to see if i get electrocuted. I dont think i will as im sure the digger will be more earthed than me. Hopefully Ill find the cable with the cat and itll be long enough to lay under the new drive... If anyone has any experiance of digging through a cable or having the lecy peps out to move one that is on your property to make way for a drive etc would apreciate a guide to costs etc... cheers Chaps ... mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back