planning permission for a conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi do i need planning for a conservatory?

i am building on to an attached garage, the con is less than 70m3 and is more than 5 metres from the highway.

any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
It does sound like it, unless its a house less than 10-15 years old which has had the pdr removed.

Best to ask the LA planing dept to be sure.

Probably not - speak to planning dept of local council (different to building control).

They will know the rules but don't expect them to be too specific - they told us we did not but would not confirm it as the only way you find that out is by putting in a full application and paying the fee. I have a letter from them saying they do not believe it needs PP.

Sponsored Links
Under the present legislation you may not require planning permission providing you meet with the following conditions:

Detached Properties
You are allowed to develop up to 70m3 or 115% of the total volume of the dwelling whichever is greater. However, this is a combination of the total amount of extensions, i.e. is you have had a kitchen extension of 40m3 and require a conservatory of 41m3 this would total 81m3 and planning permission would be required. Should the total be less than 70m3, or 115% of the volume of the dwelling, planning permission may not be required.

Semi-Detached Properties
The same as detached properties, you are allowed to develop up to 70m3.

Terraced or End of Terrace Properties
Same as detached and semi-detached, but only 50m3 is allowed to be developed.

Flats or Masonetts
This type of property has no permitted development rights and in all cases planning permission will apply, there are no exceptions.

The above mentioned only applies to extensions after the 1 July 1948.

listed are some additional information and conditions which attract planning permission:

If you build within 2m of the boundary line and the highest point at that junction is 4m or more high.
If your conservatory covers more than 50% of the original garden.
If your planning development rights have been removed.
Grade II listed buildings. These may require a hardwood conservatory with a glass roof.
Where a conservatory is 20m or less from a road or public footpath.

unless your in an area of outstanding beauty then its cut to 50m3. Some councils count a garage built at the same time as the house as part of the permitted rights, others dont. Give them a ring and theyll tell you in minutes.

Permitted development rights only exist if they have not been previously removed by the council.

You can't assume you have them, and it would be wise to confirm this with the planning dept first.

thanks for the info boys.

Sent me letter and plans of to the planning office today.

will let you know

Hi,
I’ve been reading your post and we've recently had plans drawn for Planning permission.
We rang around for Architects, and 2 came out to quote us, one quote £650 the other £450, which is a bit of a slap in the face when you put the £150 planning fee on top!
The company we (finally) used to do our drawings were very helpful and only charged us £250 to produce the plans

Thanks
Clair

Under the present legislation you may not require planning permission providing you meet with the following conditions:

Detached Properties
You are allowed to develop up to 70m3 or 115% of the total volume of the dwelling whichever is greater... etc. etc.

This information is out of date. The volume based standard was replaced with a new dimensional standard on 1st October last year. Similar but a different method of measurement. A bit more relaxed in most cases than the old rules.

Follow link for details: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315206517.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back