Draugt proofing Sash Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, does anyone know what is good to use on sash windows? Its frezzing near my windows and the weathers not even that cold yet! i have looked on internet and i dont have money to call in someone to pull out window just looking for a cheap/ reasonable alternative. My DIY knowledge not very good, if someone can give me a name / seal/ strip to get from DIY store would be great preferable not foam strip as i used these last year and all look manky now and fallen apart. MAny Many thanks

Sponsored Links
sash windows slide, so you need the strips that have a furry, velvety or brush-like surface. It is called "pile" strip and allows the windows to slide over each other while preventing draughts..

major hardware stores will have it.

sash windows are not very common, so small or cheap shops are unlikely to stock it.

if you use stick-on stuff, clean and degrease the surfaces before applying it. All types stick far better to new paint than to old.

Need - the only draught-proof sash window (original wooden box sash & not a nasty new placka thing) is one that's sealed with years of layer upon layer of paint. I've lived in old houses all my life, all with original box sashes, and I've tried every method available (short of routing grooves on the meeting surfaces and installing brush strips); nothing works 'cos there'll always be the odd gap left. The only cost-effective way to draught proof them is to use tape as a temporary measure over Winter then peel it off in Spring. Nasty looking I know, but it'll keep Jack out. Years ago there used to be a product that was like a low-tack clear mastic (a bit like that snotty stuff they stick credit cards to letters with)that was designed for this purpose - in the Spring you simply pulled the 'sausage' off in one long length - I don't know if it's still available but it was OK. Secondary double-glazing (yuk!) may be an answer. I just use thick curtains these days, effective and they look good.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back