Party wall soundproofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really DIY, but I need some advice before spending a lot of cash...

I live in a Victorian semi with a single brick party wall. Almost all of our living space is connected to next door, and although our neighbours aren't particularly noisy, we do get a lot of sound transfer through the wall (barking dog, television and piano practice). I've contacted a sound insulation company (Total Acoustic Solutions) who have recommended they fit a product called GypLyner from British Gypsum on one side of the party wall. This product is an independent stud structure with acoustic quilt and two layers of plasterboard. We're ok with the reduction in room size that installing a solution like this would mean, but do these things actually work?? I don't want to shell out a lot of money for no benefit!

Many thanks.
Andy

Sponsored Links
I don't want to shell out a lot of money for no benefit!
With regards to sound reduction, whether the cost justifies the end result is always going to be down to personal opinion. The seperate skin of a sound reducing partition set away from the existing wall is defo the way to go although it may be cheaper to end up with the same result and use seperate components rather than going the Gyproc route. Unless you're a dab hand at plastering it shouldn't be beyond most DIYers to do this themselves and then get a plasterer to finish it off.

I've specified Gypliner for dozens of flat conversions and can confirm that they are very effective and relatively easy to install. Bear in mind though that sound will travel through the building via several routes so you need to check that there is not some other predominant weakness that will reduce the overall sound attenuation.

Check below floorboards for holes in the party wall. Also check to see if floor joists (ground and first floor) are built into the party wall. If so make sure the joists are well sealed around. The section of wall at the back of the chimney opening can often be a half brick thick and this is a common weakness.

The rule of thumb is that 90% of sound will travel through 10% of gaps. In other words make sure any gaps are well sealed with acoustic grade sealant.

Thanks very much jeds/freddymercurystwin (are you really??!!!). Very helpful replies.

Sponsored Links
heres one were working on at the moment to give you some idea

[/img]

I have not quite sussed uploading immages but if you right click and open in another window you can read it better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back