United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had my roof replaced with the following :
Slate
Breathable membrane
25mm air space below
Kingspan between & under the rafters
plasterboard

On new years day we discovered 2 damp patches on the wall where the wall meets the roof in the room that's built into the roof.
These disappeared within a few days, then reappeared a few days later.

Picture of the damp patches
http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj368/mamalovesmambo2/3155592733_e35112ed86.jpg

The roofers came round to have a look.
They said it couldn't be a conventional leak as the roof is solid, and I guess as I agree as it hasn't been raining.
They speculated that since it's been very cold, that water vapour in the air had found a cold spot and condensed.
This must've happened on the underside of the breathable membrane,
then dripped onto the foil covered insulation and run down to where the roof meets the wall and caused the damp patch.
They also said this sort of thing is more likely to happen in an unheated space (the room is unheated at the moment while interior diy is happening)
they said when we turn the heating on this shouldn't happen again, and implied that they don't want to/won't do anything about this.

Does anyone know if this could be an explanation of what happened?

1) I thought condensation happened when warm air meets a cold surface, so saying that it's more likely to happen in an unheated room sounds wrong to me?
2) Surely the double layer of insulation should be stopping warm air from escaping, I know it's not going to stop all warmth escaping, but surely it should stop enough so that this doesn't happen?
3) I also thought the membrane was breathable, so that water could exit without causing problems like this
4) If it is water condensing on the underside and running down to where the roof meets the wall, then surely there should be a mechanism so that it doesn't just empty onto the wall and soak into it? If there is a possibility that this can happen surely there should be an outlet for condsensed water? Have the roofers constructed something incorrectly? It seems crazy that they can come along and say "condsendation happens", without having built something into the roof design to deal with this condensation.
5) It seems like it's too much water to be caused by condensation, how much water would cause this amount of damp patch?
6) If it is condensation then why has it only appeared in these 2 places, wouldn't condensation be more likely to cause a wet line running along where the roof meets the wall? There's also no damp patches in the other room at the back of the house that's also unheated. Why would the condensation form in 2 particular places and not elsewhere?
7) If it's not condensation running down, does anyone have any other theories on where this damp could have come from?
8) We've just spend a load of money replacing the roof and are unhappy at the roofers just washing their hands of this and not wanting to do anything about it. I know the damp patches have disappeared but how do I know they won't come back and be worse?

The chimney is at the other end of the room, so it's not being caused by a chimney problem.

The stepped skirting (see the picture linked above) is a saniflow toilet outlet which comes from the next room, through this room and to the outside. So that's got nothing to do with the leak either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1) Condensation occurs when water vapour condenses on a cold surface. Warm air is capable of holding more water vapour than cold air.
2) Insulation does not stop water vapour unless it is combined with a vapour control layer (VCL)
3) Breathable membranes have limits. That is a newly plastered room and as such there will be excesses of water vapour
4) If interstitial condensation is occuring then it is logical that the condensate will find its way to the bottom layer (ie the Kingspan under the rafters) and flow down towards the eave; if there are any breaks in this layer (eg the vertical stud wall) the water will come through
5) Condensation can create a lot of water
6) see 4)
7) IMO condensation is the most likely cause especially as you have said that it hasn't been raining

Why should it be the roofer's problem if the roof is not leaking?

IMO it is more likely a design problem (eg no VCL or wrongly installed) or there is too much water vapour - increase ventilation or reduce the vapour.

The roof design seems OK, and not one which would readily allow condensation.

The kingspan will be a vapour check, and the breather felt will allow ventilation.

The only issue which would potentially allow condensation would be if it was not built properly. Were the insulation joints sealed with aluminum tape?

Externally, its rare for a slate roof to leak - even without underfelt

But the give-away is your comment that it has not been raining. If there was no rain in the preceding few days, and it has been cold, then that would indicate condensation to be more likely.

Why should it be the roofer's problem if the roof is not leaking?

IMO it is more likely a design problem (eg no VCL or wrongly installed) or there is too much water vapour - increase ventilation or reduce the vapour.

i concur.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but if the roofers did the installation (and therefore the design) then it is their probelm

Yes, but if the roofers did the installation (and therefore the design) then it is their probelm

this statement does have merit but.....

...... as we speak, building control are falling over themselves in a blind panic, trying to revise the latest reg's. this recent cold snap is causing one or two ripples regards thermal reg's. :LOL:

robust thermal detail compliance should never be underestimated though. but who can afford it! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back