Extension project.... need ideas....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I need some inspiration for a new project. We live in a 3 bedroom victorian semidetached house (that was originally 2 beds, but extneded by the previous owner).

Ive now been told by the wife that we need more room, so Im thinking of what we can do to extend the house further.

Ive attached a very very rough floor plan, does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking about a loft extension, but Im not sure where to put the stairs.

Also thinking about somehow extending the downstairs.

Any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
John

Sponsored Links
"Pity"........they were well open to get the p.ss taken for their c..p cowboy advert. :D

These freeloaders come along now and again. They are soon shot down in flames.... :LOL:

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
I'm going to bed now in case my van turns into a pumpkin. :LOL: See ya later..

Roughcaster.

Im not sure where to put the stairs.
Depends if you're thinking of having velux windows and not altered the roof so the stairs would have to near the centre of the highest pitch roof but not always, or if you want dormer windows then stairs can go almost anywhere, what will the room in the loft will be use for?

Difficult question to answer without knowing more information but I'll give you my thoughts on it.

Ideally to get better use of the space you need the stair to come up more central of the house so as to have rooms coming off either side of the landing at the top of the stairs. Otherwise, you waste a lot of space on corridors or will only get one long living area up there.

You could use the end of the long bedroom next to the current staircase, ie at the top of the first flight you turn right and go back on yourself. The problem with this is the head height in your loft at the top of the new flight. It will finish past the ridge and into the front (I assume) pitch, you may need a large dormer here for the top of the stairs and landing to the other rooms, the problem then is planning.

If you had a large dormer at the rear you can get at least two good size bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in the new loft, which looks like you can. I would sacrifice nearly half the long bedroom and have a dogleg staircase which will finish at ridge level or further back, have a bedroom over the lounge, a small family bathroom above the back of the dining room/kitchen area and a large bedroom with ensuite over kitchen and WC.

Hope that gives you some ideas :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back