Further extending our home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we have a 3 bed semi with a flat roof kitchen/diner extension to the rear which is 5 metres wide by 4 metres in length but due to a new addition to the family we will require a 4th bed in the future.
On the side of our house we have a flat roofed triple length garage which we would like to demolish and rebuild 2 storey keeping a single garage.
I'm happy to lose some square metres on the overall footprint of the garage.

Do you think its likely we would get planning permission to extend the side?
Quite a few propertys in our road have done what i'm proposing but carried out both extensions at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Do you think its likely we would get planning permission to extend the side?

I don't know where you live, i dont know what the council is like, i just don't know

I bet the council know, why not ask them?

Yeah your right - will contact the council monday, i've been told that we may get declined due to allready having a rear extension :(

We are under epsom and ewell council in surrey can anyone recommend a local pro to do our drawings etc?

Its unlikely that an extension will be declined because you already have one.

Generally, the concern to the council is the view from the front, or from any road where the public will have significant sight of the building. In planning terms, its down to "how it sits in the street scene"

The main concern will be to avoid a "terracing" effect where the extension is too close to a neighbouring property. It may also be required to have the extension stepped back from the front elevation and a lower roof line - for some bizarre reason, planners like extensions to look like extensions and not like part of the house :rolleyes:

If the extension conforms to the councils planning policy, then it has to be approved.

If there are similar and more importantly recent similar extensions in the locality, then you should be able to do the same too

Sponsored Links
Thx for the replys - woody you are correct about the stepping back from the front elevation i think it is around 800mm and to stop the terracing effect the gutter has to be around 500mm from the boundary although the grd floor elevation can be built up to the boundary the first floor needs to taper in which is acheived by using timber stud walls and tiles.

The roofline i'm not sure about although i would like to extend the original hip over and re-tile the complete roof.
As far as extensions go it should be fairly reasonable cost wise as it would be blockwork construction most of which adjoins our neighbours garage/extension leaving a pebbledash to the front and rear with the upper floor being timber and tile construction.

Im planning on getting the shell including roof done by a builder and finishing the project myself apart from the electrics.
I'm expecting the plannng process to take a while as we will most definatly have an objection from our adjoining neighbour :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back