Mortar Thickness

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Building an extension and just finished up to dpc, but now need to build another wall off one of the sides. Ideally I would like to keep all the dpc in line on all walls. To do this I would need to make the mortar bed 40mm thick betweeen the block work and the 1st row of engineering brick to be able to line bricks up. Would this be OK or is it to thick?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it is possible to 'muck up' at the dpc detail and you could gain 40mm at a push. you will struggle though if the bricks are wet, if they are particularly hard/impervious or if it is poor weather.

do you have an old double slate bed dpc on the existing house?

i have just re-read and i think i may have misunderstood. a single leap of 40mm is going to be a right pain if it is not at the dpc detail.

structurally there is no reason why not but practically.... :mad:

Why can't you just keep the top course of engineers level and then have a normal 20mm DPC?

Do the face bricks above need to line through with the existing walls?

I think that two 20mm joints in building sand either side of a DPC, may be prone to some cracking from contraction, which may stress the DPC felt. So may be best to avoid it if possible.

But it will look crapp with a massive joint on new work

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back