Dry Lining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, could anyone help please.

We have draughts coming from under the skirting boards, through recessed light fittings and the interior walls are always cold. I know that no sealing of the dry lining has been carried out where the extractor fan exhausts pass through the walls. It has been suggested that we may have a problem with the dry lining sealing. Does anyone know of any easy methods of checking the dry lining sealing around doors, windows, ceilings, floors etc? Are there any problem hot spots to home in on? If it is of any help, the house is a Persimmon built "Essendine" 3 story, 4 bed town house.

The planning application for the development was submitted/granted in 2005, and I think the development construction also began in 05, but I don't think our house was started until 06. Should our house comply with current Regs at the time of planning application, or the time planning permission was granted, or at the time of initial construction of the development, or at the time our house construction started? The reason I ask this is so that I can find out what sort of standard of dry lining sealing to look for.

The developer is planning to do some investigation but could anyone point me in the right direction with regards to researching on-line, methods of sealing dry lining so that I have some idea what to look for?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
NHBC Standards from Sept 2006 (the previous version should be the same)

Sitework, section 8.3-S3
(f) gap sealing
A continuous ribbon of adhesive should be applied to the perimeter of external walls, openings and services in drylined walls to prevent air infiltration.
In addition:
• dry linings should be completely taped and filled at board joints and at abutments to ceilings and internal walls
• dry wall lining at door and window openings should be securely fixed and filled. This also applies at external and internal corners
• gaps around service points, electric sockets, light switches, etc should be
filled with jointing compound.

You are confusing planning regulations with building regulations.

The properties are built to the building regulations in force at the time of approval, and not at the time of construction

Thanks again for your help Woody,

When (if) the developer returns to start investigations at least I will have some idea of what to look for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back