Cold damp external walls in converted flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I own a converted 1st floor flat. The building has stone walls and is unfortunately North facing. During the winter the walls are incredibly cold and I get massive condensation and damp on the walls.

The building was converted to flats in 1988 and I don't know if any cementious or plastic dampproofing materials were used - certainly the plaster appears to be cement plaster rather than lime plaster. I also have evidence that Rentokil installed a Horizontal Damp Proof Course on all walls on the lower level.

By all accounts it wa quite a major renovation with both external and internal wall claddings being replaced and I would suspect that cementious materials have been used.

Given this situation what would be the best way of tackling the current condensation and damp problems that I am experiencing on the walls? I am concerned that installing more insulation will excerbate the condensation problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back