What price would you expect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of getting quotes for a new fence and patio for my back garden and now I've received the first one I'd like to know if there's anyone who does this for a living could tell me if it's reasonable or not.

Fence: 21ft wide by 4.5ft high vertical slatted, minimal gap (5mm between slats). Posts sunk 2ft into ground into concrete. Remove current wire and concrete post fence and dispose of. £430 +vat = £494.50

Patio: 3600mm by 3600mm to lift and dispose of exisiting patio, replace using buff coloured regent paving and to include rolltop edging in buff along one edge (3600mm). Hardcore laid underneath the slabs onto wet / dry mix. £1250 +vat = £1437.50

Total: £1932.00 incl vat.

I've never had building work done to my house before and I wondered if this is a reasonable cost or not. The comany who have quoted this have a good reputation in the area. I'm in Inverness in North Scotland if this makes a difference.

Sponsored Links
The fence price is good. The supplier must be buying from a sawmill at that price. Can't comment on the slabs as not experienced.

The patio price seems about right and if you personally are happy with the price and the quality of the company's work - ask to physically see examples of prior jobs and also speak to their previous customers, then there shouldn't be a problem.

prices seem ok. What exactly does he mean by a wet/dry mix? The slabs should be laid on a full bed of wet mortar, and finished with a proper pointed joint, not just a dry mix brushed in.

Sponsored Links
Hi gents! What he meant about wet / dry mix was he'd lay the hardcore then depending of the weather use dry mix if it's dry or wet mix if it's wet and damp when he puts the flags down. I've never done anything like thsi beofre so was defering to his experience. He'd then point between the slabs with wet mix I believe. How would be the best way to have this done in your opinion - laid on a bed of wet mix? Would a dry mix bed have any effect on the patio? Sorry if this is a noddy question!

Slabs should be laid on a full wet bed of mortar no matter what the weather - I'd never do it any other way for a customer.

As per Thermo, a properly pointed joint is required, a dry mix brushed in just won't do the job.

EDIT: I also hope he is putting a suitable depth of hardcore such as MOT/DtP 1 down and then mechanically compacting it. Bits of bricks and other rubble don't work.

Also, this time of year you also have to take adequate frost precautions... and I don't mean wear a wooly hat and some gloves ;)

Shenks, thanks again! Just so I can ask him, to what depth would yuo expect hardcore to be laid to? Also, what frost precatuions would you take? Thanks again for your patience, have a good evening.

personally i dont lay on hardcore. if its foot traffic only id lay a minimum base of 75mm of MOT type 1.

with regards frost proofing, it needs to be 5 degrees and rising. If theres a risk of frost then a frost proofer add mix should be added and all work covered over to stop the frost getting in, as well as all materials which will be used being covered. Also just because the thermometer says its 5 degrees, it doesnt mean the area he will be working is. Especially important when it comes to pointing.

Agreed with Thermo - 75mm MOT/DtP1 for foot traffic, if it was being driven over by cars then it would be 150mm.

Hi again gents! Finally got all of my quotes in and the one I'm going to go for is fence £391.00 (incl VAT) and is as described in my first post but with a 10mm gap between slats. The patio is going to be around £1187.90 (incl VAT) depending on the slabs I choose when he brings example round. Cost for patio and fence approx £1578.90.

Some questions though, he wants to put the fence 50mm off the ground to prevent splashing from rain, is this considered normal or is the gap excessive? Also on the fence, would it be advisable to get a capping rail along the top of the slats to prevent rain getting in the top grain?

On the subject of the patio, he's going to lay t on 200mm type-1 sub base (is this what you refer to at MOT type-1 in your posts?) and 50mm solid bed mortar (6:1 sharp sand and opc - whatever opc is? Cement?). I take it that this is going to be a bomb-proof patio on that much base!

Thanks again and have a good weekend! David

sounds good.

yes wjhena a fence touches the ground it reduces its life span. thats why we always put a gravel board under fence panels, theyre cheap and easy to replace. ive lost count of the amount of rotten panels touching the ground ive removed. capping is always preferable

What type of slabs are you considering? sounds a very good construction for the paving.

Hi thermo! The slabs I've got in mind are Marshall's Heritage Yorkstone. I haven't decided if I'll get 36 of them in 600x600 to replace what's down or get random size to make it a bit different.

Would it be better to ask for a gravel board rather than just having a gap between patio and fence? I'll ask him to put capping on too. Thank you once again.

we always install gravel boards on fences, much better than leaving a gap.

one last thing to check is how he will point the patio. make sure its not just brushed into the joints, but firmed in and pointed properly.

Always worth asking to see references or photos of his work as well.

prices seem ok. What exactly does he mean by a wet/dry mix? The slabs should be laid on a full bed of wet mortar, and finished with a proper pointed joint, not just a dry mix brushed in.
Thermo is spot on..............have a look at my post today(with photo's) to see what happens 18months on if the slabs are laid on dabs

Hi again gents! I've spoken to him again today and it will be laid on a wet bed with the mortar pointing. I'm also getting a gravel board. Thank you all for your posts as I wouldn't have known where to start without your tips and advice.

Thank you all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back