Self Build Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having looked at prices and build quality of various sheds I have decided to build my own, now I am by no means a builder, I like to 'have a go' and have no money so a self build seemed a good idea. It has perhaps worked out a little more expensive than I optomistically estimated but the beauty of it is if you are not in a hurry then you pay as you go. Mind you the wife is getting a bit impatient!
I have had some help with the base and have had to bodge a bit of the frame work where some cuts went a bit wobbly but on the whole am pleased so far. Anyone with advice or tips please feel free to leave me a message.
Thanks
Jim

0809050005.jpg

0809050006.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com
[img]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm235/wierdfish1/0810090007.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It was absoloutely tipping it down on the day we had arranged to lay the base and as my friends had travelled some distance we only had one day to do it! Hence the survival shelter.
I mentioned to the missus today that the shed would be good enough to live in and her reply was, 'with the time your taking to build it you may well be living in it.'
Women, they just don't understand the intracacies of shed building.

As for Cladding, I wanted to use T & G but lack of money means it looks like it's going to have to be feather edge. I was toying with the idea of popping up to Ramsgate and collecting some 'free' wood but have thought better of it, besides only so much I could fit into a clapped out Suzuki 410 jeep!

not fearher edge please you will regret it it may sound cheap but it mooves a lot :cry: :cry: :cry:

go for 5" txg shiplap cladding will cost less than £200 or around £260 for pressure treated

mines is pressure treated fully air and water tight 10x12x6 high walls

i am assuming your shed is roughly 10x10x8ft high!!!

i paid i think it was £1 a metres untreated and £1.20 treated for 5"

dont go for 6" as its 30% more for only 20% more coverage

a 5" board covers around 108mm with a 3mm gap between boards gives you 9 boards to a metre which = around £9 a square m

Nice build!

I built a shed recently, used featheredge and lined the structure with thin ply first. You do get a really nice seal this way....

See here: www.yourmissus.com/shed/

It's been up 3 years now, dry as a bone inside.
-Dan

big-all love the apex doors to store wood.. simple but i never thought of it so that makes me ......

weirdfish thanks for adding this project as i have been thinking of doing it for ages and it has given me a kickstart
Looks like your boy was having fun tradesman/DIYer in the making

Nice Shed Tasty!
Erm, question for anyone, 'Tasty' your featheredge is running vertically, I assumed it would be placed horizontally, is there advantages or disadvantages to whichever way?
Thanks
Jim

Nice build!

I built a shed recently, used featheredge and lined the structure with thin ply first. You do get a really nice seal this way....

See here: www.yourmissus.com/shed/

It's been up 3 years now, dry as a bone inside.
-Dan

nice job toasty but i am shure i have said that before ;)

the cladding should idealy be horizontal as gravity has maximum effect requiring minimum overlap for protection

in vertical you need a greater overlap to stop driving rain penetrating

gasandoilman i dont think my shed is anything special its not buuuut

i put so much thought into construction to provide maximum flexability/storage /ease off use i have to share to try and help other have an easier build
praise is nice but knowing other people have improved there designs without wasting time and money by following help from other designs from other forum members that may include my plans is very pleasing ;)

and one final point
one off the best ideas was a door opening up to the side wall this allows sheet material to slide in without moving any equipment
the window on that wall is 4ft3" off the floor ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back