Minor Roofing Work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 3 bed semi roof needs 4 ventilation tiles inserted, a chimney capped and another chimney repaired by possibly replacing the lead flashing and/or repointing. Now I asked a couple of roofers to have a look. One eventually looked and couldn't be bothered to give me an estimate, the other didn't even bother to turn up. I thought we were in a recession but I can't seem to get a builder to turn up to quote for this job.

1. Is such a job so small it's not worth the roofers time.

2. Very roughly, any idea how much this will cost.

3. Does anybody have the name of a reputable builder in the Bristol area, or where I can go to find one.

Sponsored Links
roof needs 4 ventilation tiles inserted
£30, £40 apiece.

chimney capped
elephants foot, terracotta vent terminal. approx £40.

chimney repaired by possibly replacing the lead flashing and/or repointing.
dont know what size is chimney?.

1. Is such a job so small it's not worth the roofers time.
no! you have just been unlucky in your choice of roofing co. :cry:

Very roughly, any idea how much this will cost.
excluding lead or pointing to chimney abour £300 £400 IMO.

a lot can depend upon what type of roof tiles you have.

the tiles may be fragile, which would mean collateral damage is going to be greater than the job in hand....

...or they are an awkward one to re-fix i.e. slates.

either way a roofer may look up and see nothing but aggro and drive on by. :rolleyes:

it's no fun pricing to do a job that is only meant to take ££, when by the time you have finished it costs ££££££££££££. this may be the reason for the reluctance to price the job.

Well I'm having a terrible time getting any local roofers or window fitters to quote me. They just don't bother ringing back, or answering their phones. I have to say that after my experiences, no wonder a lot of trades get a bad name. At least you know where you stand with a proper company even though it costs more. Unbelievable.

Sponsored Links
At least you know where you stand with a proper company even though it costs more.

what is your interpretation of a proper company?

would you view yourself as an affable customer?

there could be other reasons that no one is bothering with you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back