Re roofing costs for slate roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise how much a slate re roof should cost please? It is a 1930's semi located in the North West, with 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. The down stairs floor measurements are 7.9 m x 5.6m if this helps. We would probably need new roof batons and felt as there is no felt at present. Worried, as most people are, about being ripped off. The roof has not been attended to for at least 30 years, so am I right in thinking this is the only option? Building society survey suggests it is.

Sponsored Links
overall price for a new roof cannot be given! we would need to know area of roof, pitch, accessability, scaffold required,no of chimneys, leadwork, vents, verges, fascias, soffits, gutters. the list goes on....best to get 3 estimates from accredited roofing contractors or referrals from friends or family.
apart from all that re-slating inclusive of felt and battens runs at between £90-£120 per m2 that would be for 14x8" penryth welsh slate.

hope this helps, good luck.

Are you sure it needs re-roofing completely? Valuation surveyors sometimes record work in the report that is not needed. Re-pointing is a common one. With slate roofs it is often the nails that have perished(nail sickness), but if it is only a couple of slipped slates you might get away with a repair. Without a photo its difficult to tell how bad it is.

Sponsored Links
Just because it has no underfelt will not mean it needs renewing, why don't you contact a few roofers for a price to re-roof or repair.
All of them will give free quotes and good advice.
Hope this helps
Dave

Thanks for all the comments so far, they have been helpful. We want to obtain quotes, as suggested, but don't know where to start in the Yellow Pages. How do we know Aardvark Roofing for example are reliable, qualified or any good? Unfortunately, the Rogue Traders programme hasn't done tradesmen any favours. Without a reccommendation from a friend or relative, it is really very difficult to know who to ask to come and give a quote, as there are so many.

Yes Rogue traders has exposed alot of roofers that charge alot and don't know what they are doing,but there are also 1000's of good ones out there that will do a good job for a fair price so you have to do some detective work your self.
If you don't know any one who has had work done to there own Roof and can recommend or haven't seen a roofer working locally to you that you can actually see his work and ask the homeowner about him, you need to obtain at least 3 quotes and ask all of them for references, the good ones will supply these no problem( ask for recent ones) use your own judgment as if you were employing any trade and don't just go for the cheapest.
Following the above rules can not garrentee that you will get the right man for the job but it puts the odds in your favour than if you did nothing.
Hope this helps
Dave.

P.S. Where in the North-West are you?

Your a little bit far for me, but do as i have advised above and you should get your self a good roofer, if not contact me.
Cheers
Dave

Hi,

To keep the cost down and if the existing slates are in good condition you could felt, batton and reuse some of the slate (say 50%). Your roofing contractor could then source some reclaimed slates to match the existing slates. If you are still having difficulty finding a contractor? let me know and I will give you a contact nr. There are still a lot of honest quality tradesmen out there.

Good luck.

I am in a very similar position with a c1920s mid terraced with a leaking roof, and no idea of which builders to trust.

I wanted to ask how you got on, how your roof is now, and who you used.

If theres anyone who can help, my contact is 07871771212.

Many Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back