Joining Guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to replace the wood guttering on my terrace house, but I'm not sure how to join it to my neighbours guttering.

I require 18ft, which I will be buying from a local shed. This length will need halving for transport, so again how do I join these sections.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
When you are buying the guttering you should find next to it joining pieces. There are versions to join round to round, round to square, and square to square. Each type has a small rubber band at each end that when the gutter is clipped/snapped in forms a seal.

Now joining to the old guttering of the neighbour will probably require copious amounts of silicon/mastic sealer to seal the overlap of the two gutters. However if both gutters have the same profile you may be able to use the same type of joining piece above.

Check here:-

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?ts=00509&id=101310

Mark

Now joining to the old guttering of the neighbour will probably require copious amounts of silicon/mastic sealer to seal the overlap of the two gutters. However if both gutters have the same profile you may be able to use the same type of joining piece above.

You will find that plastic guttering expands and contracts with temperature and that if you don't get a good fitting join in the first place no amount of mastic etc will keep the joint watertight. You can buy adaptors for most profiles of guttering to join one section to another. It's worth doing it properly first time around. Most guttering is pretty standard so I wouldn't have thought you'd have much of a problem (famous last words :D ).

Sponsored Links
My dad's house has wood guttering. Its been up for more than 100 years, and its still working perfectly :)

1) How does that work then Tom ?
2) How is it joined ?
3) Is it painted ?
4) Are the downpipes wooden too ?
P

I'm guessing maybe a box section and flashing lead internal maybe ??

And a wood veneer with sellotape on the downpipe :LOL:

To join wood guttering you have to chisel out at the adjoining ends enough wood to enable a piece of lead to bedded into the gutter so it overlaps the existing guttering and the new guttering by about 4 inches. You then have to nail the lead inside the gutter but not on the flat bit at the bottom where the water will run, only on the sides, use short galvanized nails.
Then seal it with large amounts of Bitumen, make sure the gutter has the correct fall or water will well in the gutter and rot it very fast!

Apply bitumen befor and after the lead!

Good luck

WEB address removed, these can be shown in your profile

masona said:
I'm guessing maybe a box section and flashing lead internal maybe ??

And a wood veneer with sellotape on the downpipe :LOL:

Thats pretty much it, there are no downpipes (the neighbouring property has plastic guttering and a plastic downpipe).

He went up to repair the join between the houses a few months ago, with the intention of replacing it, only to find that it was in perfect health, and why spend money for nothing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back