Making a box gutter

S

swidders

Have two adjacent garden cabins with pitched roofs, terminating at the eaves at nearly the same height, approx 300mm between the two. Want to create a box gutter to keep this passageway (4m long) dry. What's the best way of lining it - lead sounds like it's too heavy and slope may be insufficient to prevent 1500mm lengths overlapping from capilliaring water, unless i solder, which seems to defeat allowance for movement/expansion from overlap.

All ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
lead is your best bet , but should be dressed up under both roof coverings and it shouldnt be too difficult to build a structure sufficient to take it.
Use firring pieces covered by ply to create a fall to the gutter outlet.

Thanks for that. Given there will be a small slope (1 in 80??) along its run, do i do an overlap weld or not? Sorry if this sounds daft.

Ideally i would try and get a 1in 40 fall but just overlap the lead you can just turn back a small lip on the underneath bit of lead to be on the safe side and maybe join with a bit of roofing mastic if you are overly worried, keep your lead lengths down to about 1500mm in length.

Sponsored Links
Hi. If you can discharge gutter at both ends (high point in middle) run away from middle with 1:80 fall, use code 5 sheet lead, put a 50 mm by 100mm across gutter at middle. Dress the code 5 so it has a min 50mm upstand on both sides of the 50 mm x 100 mm and cap same with sheet lead. As for weight this will not be a problem as the structure needs to be able to carry the mass of pedestrian traffic when installing and cleaning gutter. good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back