Can't get the trip switch back on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I wanted to move a bathroom pullswitch a few inches so turned off power and cut through cable.This caused the lighting circuit to trip and now it wont go back on.I have checked all the bulbs.
Any thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
First thought......is we need more information.

Is the cable still just cut or have you re-connected the cable to the switch and if so how did you do it.

Have you reset your RCD and any MCBs which may also have tripped? Is the earth wire in the cable touching either of the cut live wires?

Hi.
The cut cable is not connected and the three wires are seperated and not touching.I have power to the sockets but no lights.The RCD is a Hager.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I turned off the lighting trip switch and cut the cable.
This caused the main switch to trip which i have switched back on but the lighting switch won't go back on.

Oh right, the RCD tripped when you cut through the cable, this is quite normal.
How many wires were there in the old switch? How have you connected them back up? A photograph too will help.
Could be that the MCB is shot at, you have put a screw through the cable or wired it wrong. You haven't put the earth into COM, L1 or L2 have you?
I suppose this would trip the RCD tho.

It's not wired yet.
I have left the cut cable sticking out the ceiling with the three wires apart and not touching.It was all working fine before and i can't see what the problem could be as it's not connected.

Can you get above to check the cable? Is there a possibility that there was another cable entering the switch?
Don't leave bare wires sticking out of the ceiling too, put them into chock block and enclose in a chock box so it can be energized safely.

Perhaps, more likely you have disturbed something. Could be the other end of the switch cable - have seen a mass of moltern plastic above a bathroom light before.
Alternatively it might be the MCB which has failed internally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back