Internal door to garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to put a door in from my corridor in the house into the garage. This saves us having to walk all around the building to get at our large fridge freezer.

I believe the garage floor level and the house floor level to be the same. When we knock through can the door height be raised by a row of bricks to get the required 100mm differential between house/garage? We would have to step over the 100mm in/out of the garage.

I know I'll need a fire door but can this be lockable?

I am concerned about cold/draught coming through the door as well, what can I do to prevent this?

A lot of questions I know but I'm hoping someone out there has done this before.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A fire resistant door is not the same as a fire escape door; you can lock it, as presumably you are not taking away any existing means of exit by the work you are doing. As many vehicle doors fitted to garages are not very secure, it seems sensible to make this internal door secure.

Some intumescent seals (such as these) act as draught seals in normal use.

I believe the garage floor level and the house floor level to be the same. When we knock through can the door height be raised by a row of bricks to get the required 100mm differential between house/garage? We would have to step over the 100mm in/out of the garage.

yes you can have a raised threshold to deal with the spillage reg's.

I know I'll need a fire door but can this be lockable?
yup.
I am concerned about cold/draught coming through the door as well, what can I do to prevent this?
intumescent strips are good at keeping draughts out too. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back