chimney breasts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i was after some advice, i want to remove both chimney breasts from my house. I belive i need to get building control in to make sure its done " right"
I am planning to do this myself with some help from a friend who has done this before. Do i need to get a structual engineer involved???

many thanks

Sponsored Links
the last chimney stack i removed we wern`t allowed to remove the part protruding through the roof "HEADACHE" as the planning department wouldn`t allow it !
so in the loft space we had to support what was left of the chimney stack with a 4 part fabricated r s j cradle bolted together in sections then to bolted to the walls the building control officer enjoyed this far more than us i`m sure there could have been a simpler solution looking back
GOOD LUCK and take care!

Unless you use a proven support method for any part remaining, then the BCO is likely to require some structural calculations for the supporting beams or brackets.

If you are removing complete, then you should not need an SE

will i have to put a plate and 2 brackets under each breast or do i have to use a full rsj , wall to wall??? thanks

Sponsored Links
hi, i was after some advice, i want to remove both chimney breasts from my house. I belive i need to get building control in to make sure its done " right"
I am planning to do this myself with some help from a friend who has done this before. Do i need to get a structual engineer involved???

many thanks

Yes - calculations regarding steels, padstones (if using) etc need to be submitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back