New garden fence - which type?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, after some pretty strong winds a couple of weeks ago one of our fences on our neighbours boundary needs replacing. I have been looking at various types of fence structure.

The one I think I have decided on using is a low (1 ft) brick wall (double skin) with 4 ft high pillars every 6 ft and fence panels in between. My only concern is that in strong winds the fence panels will catch the wind and may pull the brickwork down.

Any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
I dont understand why you would go to all the bother of building a brick wall then putting fence panles on it.

fence panels dont last that long, a proper fence with (rolf) arris rails will last donkeys years if done right

you can get a lovely job using concrete fence posts. They are very strong and when the woodwork reaches the end of it life you can replace it.

To make them blend in you can use dark brown masonry paint to match the wood stain.

View media item 975
View media item 977
Thermo agrees that they are beautiful. However he has some very eccentric ideas on garden ornaments.

I must admit the concrete posts can look nice if painted. However, they are quite expensive at £15 each and another £15 for the gravel boards a fence can prove to be quite expensive.

Sponsored Links
well you could buy metposts and fence panels, and in 5 years time you could buy metposts and fence panels

quality does not come chep, but it sure does last

go for a timber closebaord fence. Not much more expensive and it will last years. Looks much better than painted concrete. John has a nice collection of garden gnomes that he can see from his bedroom in the asylum. (he keeps painting peoples fence posts and anything else that is concrete so they have to lock him up.)

If you are going for the brick piers option, then dont go for panels, go for the closebaord in between. Much better quality and will last longer. If the piers are reinforced then they should be ok, but it can be an expensive way of doing things. As breezer says, pay once and get it done properly. Despite what John thinks, properly installed decent timber fence posts from a decent fencing supplier last years.

properly installed decent timber fence posts from a decent fencing supplier last years.
but not as many years as properly installed decent concrete posts (especially if they are painted).

My mother had some concrete ones replaced recently that were installed before she bought the house 50 years earlier. They had gone crooked due to 50-year-old trees pushing at them.

Be fair, Thermo has to earn a living, where would he be without continual replacement of rotten wooden fence posts?

i havent replaced or repaired a timber fence we have erected yet.

go back to your concrete gnomes!

I must admit the concrete posts can look nice if painted. However, they are quite expensive at £15 each and another £15 for the gravel boards a fence can prove to be quite expensive.
£15 seems expensive.
I paid £10 post, £7 gravel board and £3.50 Postcrete from builders merchants, including VAT.

(Didn't bother painting them).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back