Pier construction for 203x133UB30 over kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My architect has specified this UB to support a 64.4 Kn load over our Kitchen/Diner opening. Padstones are specified at 450x200x150 deep. In order to provide a min 150mm bearing, I am intending to build a 100mm block pier off the existing internal load bearing wall foundation. The existing foundation is 350 x 200 wide, my question being, is this ok? The foot of the existing foundation can accommodate the additional 100mm blockwork but obviously doesn't extend much beyond the foot of the pier, the architect seems pretty matter of fact about it but he hasn't been around much to reassure me? Any advice welcomed. regards

Sponsored Links
there is a risk of shear, so building control usually recommend underpinning plus additional perimeter concrete, in these circumstances.

Cheers noseall, just excavated a bit more of the existing foundation and it inclines back towards the wall so I don't reckon there's even full depth of concrete across the remaining toe. I'll get the BCO to inspect and see what he requires. Ta

If your architect "designed" it, both beam and bearing are probably way larger than they needs to be. The need to underpin depends on the configuration ie are you at the end of the wall, what's the ground like under the footing, is the beam spanning in the plane of the wall, internal or external wall, is it a good quality concrete footing etc.

You'll be going some to get 6-odd tonnes on an internal opening in domestic, makes me wonder what exactly is the house layout and age.

Sponsored Links
Beam is spec'd to support first floor, upstairs block wall and upgraded loft conversion floor. Beam spans from internal wall to inner leaf of external cavity wall. House is 1959, internal wall built on 150mm foundation near surface and architect specified doubling up the block work off existing foundation to provide 150mm bearing. This was all passed by BCO actually but on excavation I have my doubts about the quality of footing hence question. Just hoping that BCO doesn't want me to dig 1 mtr foundations in my kitchen to support pier!!! Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back