Conservatory / drains - issue with constructors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly apologies as I had origninally posted this in the building section but think it would be better suited in here:

We had a conservatory built by a reputable local company about 18 months ago. They handled the entire construction, base, walls, windows and the roof etc - the ground works included removal of the existing patio.

We have recently discovered an issue with our drain outlet from the kitchen sink. The outlet used to pass out of the house via pipe and into a gully (which was kind of covered up by the old patio we used to have before the conservatory). It turns out that the original gully used was not a sealed one and now we are having issues with it getting blocked up and as we now have a conservatory with a concrete base we have no real way of accessing it to clear it properly - Dynorod were able to clear it on this occassion but they had to use a camera to get the jetwash into the right place. So in effect we have an open type gully that is now covered by 12" of concrete base.

My issue is with the company who built the conservatory. As I see it when they did the original survey they should have picked up that the gully was of the wrong type and replaced it for one that is suitable for that type of application (sealed one). The company are denying that it is there issue and are unwilling to put right - unless we pay for it ofcourse!

I would like some advice as to if I have any right to expect them to put this right at their cost and who I can speak to in order for them to be forced to fit the bill - buildings inspector???

Any advice gratefully received and if you need anymore info please ask

Sponsored Links
Conservatories, unless they are over 30m², are normally exempt from Building Regulations, so the provisions in Approved Document H would not apply.

You can try asking the Building Inspector, but he probably won't be very interested. You may be better off seeking advice from a Building Surveyor or Structural Engineer.

It will probably depend on whether the contractor was aware of the drain before he did the work and whether he discussed it with you.

You could also ask Trading Standards - they may not have the technical expertise but will probably be able to point you in the right direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back