Good value upvc window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to purchase a custom made upvc window; 2000 x 1400.

I assume the best deals are found on the net? There's so many companies out there it's hard to know where to find (or even recognise) good quality at a fair price.

Can anyone recommend a good company?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I suggest you find a local company to do this for you. Post to tell people where you are and you may get some suggestions.

I get excellent service from The Window Factory in south Bristol: good quality, friendly advice and very fair pricing. The only time I had a problem, they spent time with me explaining what I'd done wrong and how to do things properly. Now that I've had to change to a smaller vehicle they even deliver for no extra cost.

I'd be disinclined to buy a custom-made window through the internet because of the risk of things going wrong with the order for such an item, but others may have a different view.

I'm afraid I can't advise you how to choose a good company, apart from getting a recommendation.

Thanks for your help xerxes.

Good advice about buying such an item over the net.

Buying over the net, or over the phone is no different to going to the shop.

You give (fax or email) the company a sketch with your sizes, your window style, casement hanging details etc and they make it. That's it.

It does not matter to the manufacturer if its custom size or not. All they need is the size, and the machine cuts the frame sections just the same

Just remember to state that the total opening sizes, and the company will allow for this (normally make the frame 10mm smaller). Also state if a cill is required and whether this is a standard width.

Just ensure that companies quote like for like - ie internal or external beading, glass unit thickness, multipoint locking mechanism, and include a trickle vent.

And this may seem obvious, but can catch people out ... make sure the glass is included in the price!

With the glass, confirm if safety glass is required and its Part L1 compliant

I'd try and find a small local manufacturer, unless you know a specific trade supplier off the net - most mail order suppliers wont be competitive for one-offs

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice.

Is there a big difference in quality between manufacturers. For example, is Everest far better than the general ones you find on the net? or are they using more or less the same material and you're paying more for the name and service?

Thanks again.

& don't forget fitting replacement windows in notifyable work unless you use a FENSA registered installer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back