Concrete crumbling

Sponsored Links
Was it laid in freezing conditions? I have also seen it go like this if old cement, or even masonry cement has been used for concrete.
How was the surface finished? eg tamp, float.

i agree with stuart, the perished, friable surface is conducive with frost spalling.

It was laid in the Autumn last year, not freezing conditions. The surface was tamped. I wouldn't know about the age of the cement, although it was purchased for the job by the builder from a local and fairly busy supplier. I did notice one bag was a different type (plastic not paper) but all Lafarge I think. Is the damage likely to continue getting worse would you think?

Sponsored Links
was it raining heavily when it was done or just after?

it may be that the rain has dragged the cement down from the top area of the concrete, especially if it has been tamped. Effectivley it ends up with a weaker mix through the top part of the mix (im assuming it was mixed on site and not ready mix). That means that it breaks up fairly easily through traffic and the frost action.

I speak from bitter experiance as we did one about 4 months ago. It was the last part of a driveway slab at the bottom of a slope. Mix was exactly the same as the rest of the slab, but the heavy rain travelling over the slab had the same effect on it. Nothing else was wrong with the mix or the cement, as we used some from the same batch in a different position and its rock hard. No frost or low temperatures either. Ill be going back to sort it out for him in the better weather.

I'm pretty sure that's what has happened here Thermo. Getting this redone won't be easy, there's metal grid and drains in the slab and acco drain along edge. :( Hey Ho. Thanks to everyone for your input!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back