3m sash windows --> 3m uPVC or equiv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering moving from my existing wooden sash windows to a uPVC variant. I'm mainly considering this because 2 of the lower frames in the sashes are now rotten & I'm being quoted £500 each for replacements so I figure uPVC is worth considering. + moving away from wood eliminates the maintenance overhead

Does anyone have any experience of this and any comments thoughts about whether I should/shouldn't do it?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Changing to upvc would be a real shame, you could ge a couple more estimates the prices you mentioned seem expensive to me.
If you are in south or west london i can recommend a very good sash window company.

i agree a shame to lose the wooden ones , upvc windows are ugly to my eyes, including the sash ones.

are you saying the sash windows are 3m high?
seems very large. if this is the case then whatever you replace them with will be very expensive.

a properly made and maintained replacement sash should last longer than upvc. you can get them double glazed - with slim units if necessary.
i would check the sills of the frames though. they get the worst of the weather and water can collect there. they could be rotten, but they too can be replaced.

Ok. I'm in South East london. Can you let me have the details of the company you know?

Regarding the windows they are just under 3m high. Floor to ceiling in an old house.

Cheers
Eggers

Sponsored Links
Changing to upvc would be a real shame, you could ge a couple more estimates the prices you mentioned seem expensive to me.
If you are in south or west london i can recommend a very good sash window company.

South London.... Would be great to get the name of this company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back