Anyone have problems with neighbours trees ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We do.
Unfortunately, our neighbour is quite neglectfull with his house & garden & he has a Cherry tree growing just on the other side of the fence about 10-15 ft away from our house which is a mid terrace /cottage type dwelling. The branches have not been trimmed & they rise up higher than the gutter level 25+ ft.
As well as blocking out loads of light in Summer, it's also a pain when the blossom falls, followed by the leaves later on, which also makes our paved yard slippery.
I trimmed his branches a couple of times over the years but I won't do it anymore on principle. It's like he waits for me to offer so he doesn't have to do it. He's quite bone idle at the best of times.
I was wondering where I stand legally with the issue of blocked light etc.

Sponsored Links
Frequently & I’ve got ½ an acre garden. There are now regulations covering trees but I believe there has to be 6 or more together before you can do anything. From what you’ve said, I don't think your case is strong enough but even if it were the onus is on you to try & sort it with your neighbour first. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have an automatic right to light nor can you do anything about his falling leaves. All you can probably do is to keep trimming his tree but make sure you give him all the trimmings back or you could technically be stealing them!

But don’t necessarily take my word for it, try the "garden law" forum where you will get excellent advice.

Sponsored Links
just wondered if you swept all the leaves and bloosom up and gave that back to him aswell :LOL: ,as they arnt yours does that mean techinacally your stealing from him if you leaf them in your garden ;)

I know its easy for us to joke, but i know this old lady who, every year spends hours clearing leaves from her garden.

Thats all very wll but she has no trees. none!.

Whilst they can become a slip hazzard there is nothing you can do, since they can get carried by the wind from a neigbours (not next door) like the lady i know.

i live at the end of a run of semi's and also have a 5' high wall along the entire length of my property. no one else has a wall, hence mine is the only wind break.

i spend a significant portion of my life clearing up other peoples leaves as i have no deciduous trees on my property.

ho, hum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back