Flat Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone please tell me how long flat roof last for.bought a house about three years ago with a flat roof at the back.the previous owner said it had been there for about ten years and we have lived here for three years now. it looks ok but i obviously dont want to wait until it starts leaking before i change it. please see picture below and tell me what you think. thanks
IMG_1775.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Looks good to me, lifespan is dependant on materials used. That looks like 3 layer and chippings, if it has a good fall, it could last 15-20 years.

thanks xenon. it does not have any fall. it is flat if thats what you mean by a good fall.

yes its a flat roof, but it will still have a run off built into it sloping towards the gutter/outlet. :D

Sponsored Links
it has no slopes at all as you con see from the picture above. xenon believes that it looks good and has some years left in it. what are the signs to look out for that will tell me that it needs re-roofing. that is quite important to me. will it buble or show any other signs that it needs re roofing?

if anything the edges are raised which seem to conflict with the falls it should have. it has gutters round it though but i dont see how the water on top of the roof will drain into the gutters as the edges are raised. please see picture.

the edges should be raised on 3 sides, with the drip and gutter on the 4th side. (not raised).

hi All

apologies for reviving an old thread but can someone please tell me the type of roofing this is? just renewing my home insurance and am being asked for the type of flat roof.
TBH i dont know whether asphalt or felt , so i could do with some advise..

many thanks in advance

Built up felt flat roof, mineral felt edge detail with chippings.....hard to be certain from that pic tbh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back