What is the best covering for my roof ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in a victorian terrace about 100 years old.
The roof is slate and is original ( apart from the odd repair )
There are a couple of annoying leaks when its raining hard and blowing hard and I am thinking of having the roof replaced. My immediate neighbour has had his roof replaced using large tiles ( not slate ) and reckons thats the best plan for me as well. He says the insulation is also better ?
The cost of replacement is not an issue ( well not TOO much of an issue ) I just want to make the right choice as I intend staying here for the foreseeable future. I can live with the leaks for now as I have a large container under each drip, catches the water and then evaporates when its dry outside...

Also is "roofbond" worth a look !!

Sponsored Links
You are always better with a slate roof in my opinion. Lifespan and looks are the main plus points and also the fact that the roof covered in your average concrete tiles will be around five times heavier than the slate version. That is the time when you find out if you have any rotten timbers ! It will cost more in slate but there is also some reclaim value to the slates you have to remove so build it into any quote you may get from the Roofers. As for Roofbond, I have no experience with it but in general I haven't heard too many glowing reports about it.

Hi. I would agree with the last post, in areas that i have worked its common practice to carefully strip the roof sort slates by condition and thickness. Purchase similar second hand to match,the average short fall being about 30%. Felt and batten roof and refit using copper nails. It makes a nice job and duplicates the intended aesthetics. One other point when scaffolding a 5 board wide lift allows enough room to sort and store slate, without tripping over every thing. Good Luck

Agreeing with the above posters here.

Putting back what you already have is the best option and bearing in mind of course that the slate is already millions of years old it doesn't deteriorate too much, it is the nails that rust away (nail sickness as we call it) and as JL says, generally you'll only need 30% replacements, saves on skips too benefitting you with cost savings and of course is that much more environmentaly friendly.

Looks better that concete tiles too

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys. I will get a couple of quotes bearing in mind the above points.

What ever you do ,Don't use tiles on a property that has slate as it's original covering.
it will de-value the house and the local council can demand it be put back to slate.
We are busy strip & re-slating 40 houses in Sunderland at present.
drop me a email if you would like a price for your roof to be recovered.
is Roof bond where they repair your slates and spray the inside of the roof void with foam.if it is stay well clear no such thing as a quick fix.
Cheers Martin..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back