is this just a case of filling with mortar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Woke this morning to find a couple of chunks of red mortar on the path and the small bay window roof with a couple of holes in it.

P1010077.jpg

Hoping I can just mix up some red mortar and patch as necessary, would this be ok?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
yep.

don't do it if it is likely to freeze.

using a small paintbrush, damp the area with water first.

let the excess dry a little then point with 3:1 mortar.

yep.

don't do it if it is likely to freeze.

using a small paintbrush, damp the area with water first.

let the excess dry a little then point with 3:1 mortar.

Thanks noseall. I was going to do it tomorrow, is not advisable doing this during the current cold spell. Wanted to get it done before water gets in there.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Just checked and have had to remove some more as most were dangerously loose. Don't want them falling on my 7 year old. Looks like the easiest way would be pipe the mortar into the gaps?

Any tips?

3:1 sand cement with some red cement colouring mixed through.

i would use frostproofer through my mix in this weather.

dont mix the stuff too wet / a little stiffer would be better.

using the back of a guaging trowel squeeze in as much stuff into the joints as you can to bring it level.

wait until it has nearly dried then give it a light sponge over for a smooth finish.

watch you dont break any of those bonnet hips in the process! they are a b....r to replace.

if the temperature goes below freezing before your pointing sets it will bleach.

Hi. Once pointed, cover over with a damp sack or alike. Freezing is one thing but also drying to quick in direct sun can also create problems. Good Luck

like noseall says, there is little chance you iwll get much water in there as there is plenty of headlap coverage with the plain tiles/bonnets. I would definatley let the cold snap clear up before redoing it, certainly no rush.

p.s Is your house failry new? was it built by Gladedale/ Ben baileys? It looks very similar to a lot of the house types we were working on last year.

IMO I think it looks far better if the mortar is kept off the front edge of the bonnet - takes a bit more time though

IMO I think it looks far better if the mortar is kept off the front edge of the bonnet - takes a bit more time though

with you on that one roofer ;)

Thanks for the advice guys. Going to do it this weekend, now the cold snap is over.

So, 3:1 mix (builders sand : cement) with red colouring. Any tips on how much red colouring to add. Only making a small qty or mortar.

House was built in 2001, think it's a McAlpine build.

a light sprinkling over the dry mix, keep adding while you are mixing till you are happy with the colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back