Woodmites?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please take a look at the photos I have posted.
Its at the meeting point of a door frame and a hardwood floor. These small piles of dust keep appearing. Hoover it up and a week later its started to build up again. No sign of any creatures but then you don't always see them? Any suggestions as to what is causing it? Any cures?

Sponsored Links
Its probably an insect attack inside the door frame. If you keep the bore dust it will help identify what type of insect it is. Its normally the common furniture beetle.

Sponsored Links
I looked on his profile, but I couldn't see clearly. I am just guessing at the cause.

I would have thought plaster dust from where the door frame was clumsily screwed to the wall.

modern houses are too dry for woodworm to survive long.

Is that the same bit of doorframe, one with a flash and one without? Is that yellow / white stuff the dust? Or is it the flash reflection?
Anyhow, perhaps it's a recently renovated basement that was riddled with damp and woodwork before the builders came in. If so, the wood in the frame/door/wherever the dust is coming from will probably be attractive to woodworm for many years to come.
Surely the OP can spot some woodworm holes?
If not, I reckon someones secretly been doing some sanding.

rodders - maybe the clue is in the type of floor you have ... laminated by the look of it. This will move slightly (up & down) when walked on causing a 'bellows' effect which will blow any dust (and yours looks like decorating dust/sandings) from those gaps.

Sorry guys, I made a mess of uploading the photos. Foolishly I followed the instuctions at the top of the page for "upload pictures" should have known there was a catch somewhere, i.e. they don't upload to the forum post your on when you upload. But at least someone found them, thanks.
I've had another go now.
As to the dust, its an upstairs doorframe in a 34 year old house and the flooring is hardwood 5mm thick on a plywood backing. Very little movement in the floor and there are 4 other similar door frames within 2 metres with no problems. The floor has been down about 10 years and this has only just started to occur. The decorating dust does sound feasible tho' but to be honest I think it is to fine and does not feel like sanding dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back