internal door question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my kitchen hallway is a wooden door to my basement and then 4/5' from that door is another door to the outside of the house. My basement is very cold and drafty, and I would like to find a door in the style of the house(5-panel horizontal, craftsman style) that is insulated. I would just get a fiberglass external door and put it there however my wife doesn't want to have a plastic looking door inside the house.
I heard that I might be able to get an mdf door that was also better insulated than just a wood panel door but have been unable to find something.

To make matters more complicated I need to put a cat door in this door as our cat's litter box is in the basement. Currently in the wooden door that came with the house(prolly 1920's) I cut a hole and put in a cat door.

I'm open to thoughts on how to make this area less drafty. Granted replacing the exterior door and storm door that is near the basement door will help a bunch, but I still feel I should replace the interior basement door with something in the house style that is insulated.

Ahh the wonders of a 1920s house in new england!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think I would have better luck convincing the wife to let me use a fiberglass door there over having a wood door with foamboard affixed to the back of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back