painting garden furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks,

I'm thinking about painting some of the garden furniture (an arbour, bench and arch) in the next month and was wondering about preparation. The furniture is a couple of years old and I never got round to painting it when it was first put together (too much else to do at the time!) Now looking at it, some parts have gone green and the overall shade of the wood has gone grey with a few water stains. I thought something like the "shades " range would be good at covering it up, as it's more like a paint, as opposed to using a wood stain. Those seem thin in comparison, and I'm not sure if the colour would be even all over. Any advice on which would be better? Anyway, my main point - how should i prepare the wood? Is there a special wash I could use to clean the wood, or just soap and water, or do nothing and paint over it?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
give it a quick scrub with soapy water. the shades stuff covers pretty well with a couple of coats

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back