Leaning wall

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a new extension built and wasn't happy with rows below dpc as running out.

Builder OK and corrected problem but now he has got 12 rows above dpc on the 1st corner and is vertically running out by about 1/2". Builder has told us we have got to be more tolerant.

Do you think we should go with what he says or stop him and get someone else in?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You will need to be tolerant if you are going to stick with him. Half an inch in 3 ft is a long way out even for me.

He obviously has not got a clue and seems to be masquerading as a bricklayer.

Tell him to pack his tools back into the saddle bags, get on Trigger and ride off into the sunset.

Sponsored Links
Its running out vertically by 12.5mm in 900mm, where as the acceptable tolerance is 10mm in 3000mm.

Yee-har!

At that rate of lean it will be about 3 inches out of plumb at the top of a 2 storey extension. I have pulled down the front flank of a mid terrace and rebuilt it with a similar lean, on the recommendation of a surveyor.
Remember that the centre of the wall will often lean even more through settlement.

Thanks for all your replies!

Think I've made my mind up now to call it a day with him and try and get someone else in to finish it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back