slate chippings. how much do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have laid most of my gravel path now but the wife now wants to top dress it with slate chippings but I am having difficulty working out how much slate to order, I want the 40mm stuff, dimensions are

10 linear meters
50 cm width
10cm deep

can anyone help with working out how much I need to order, either in terms of 25kg bags or bulk bags.

Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
You don't want to be laying a decorative finish 100mm deep! Lay it 30-40mm deep and make up the difference with compacted mot.

too late!!!! just put down a bulk bag of 10mm pea gravel(around 20cm deep) and the wife had choice of topping up with more gravel or slate chppings (the path was for drainage mainly)

only asking, wont the chippings "leak" through the pea gravel, so that you will end up with more pea gravel than chippings

Sponsored Links
was going to put a membane between the slate and gravel, I assumed this would stop this happening...any thoughts?

you need to keep the gravel and the slate chippings seperate, as breezer has mentioned. Slate chippings need to be a minimum of 50mm thick as they do not actually cover that well and leave gaps between them so you can see the membrane underneath

laid on mot..... PAH, go back to your building you heathen! :LOL:

thanks thermo, any idea how to work out how much slate I need to get?

25kg bags are an expensive way of buying it, but it will be cheaper from a builders merchant than a diy shed. The manufacturers reckon on a bag doing 1m2, but i disagree as it leaves gaps (its a pet hate of mine, it looks like youve skimped on buying the stuff)

If youve got 10m x .5m x .05m deep thats 0.25m3. That about 1/3 rd of a bulk bag, so youll have quite a bit left over if you buy one of them

10m x 0.5m is 5m2. id probably get 7-8 25 kg bags to well and truely cover it. (depends on the size of slate, wether its chippings or paddlestones as well)

thanks thermo, you have been a great help, can I be a really big pain and just ask how many bags I would need if the depth stayed at 10cm
thanks

double the amounts ive given (ish depends on how well tha bags are filled, it is a little hit and miss!)

thanks, will phone up and get a price tomorrow for 16 x 25kg bags....what would you say from a builders merchant £5ish a bag inc vat?? did get a quote from them for a bulkbag when we were looking at this to start with and they quoted £115...wonder if its worth getting the extra just in case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back